Notices and Warnings
Hitchcock Woods is a natural environment. Therefore there are inherent risks in visiting the Woods and some areas may be potentially hazardous to visitors. Please exercise judgment and caution when you enjoy the Hitchcock Woods. Guidelines for compatible uses are provided on kiosks and more information is available on the website (click on “Visitor Guidelines” in the ENJOY pull-down menu.)
Under South Carolina law, an equine activity sponsor or equine professional is not liable for an injury to or the death of a participant in an equine activity resulting from an inherent risk of equine activity pursuant to Article 7, Chapter 9 of Title 47, Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976.
For their own safety, please restrain children when in proximity of horses and dogs.
Etiquette for Pedestrians
Because horses have limited vision, they may become startled and injure themselves, their rider, other riders, or pedestrians.
When horses come into view, please remember:
- Slow down and stop.
- Stand in a visible spot. Do not hide off the path.
- Speak to the rider as he or she approaches to make your presence known.
- Do not touch any horse unless invited to do so.
- Resume only after the horse and rider have passed you completely.
- Resume quietly and slowly.
If you bring your dog with you to walk in the Woods, please remember:
- Dogs are the legal responsibility of their owner/handler.
- All dogs must be controlled by their handlers at all times. Control is accomplished with a leash … or a dog must be trained to obey an audible command to immediately return to its handler, or to immediately stop movement and allow the handler to go to the dog and establish physical control.
- Under no circumstances will dogs be permitted to be out of their handler’s sight, to approach in a threatening manner, or to make physical contact with other people or animals using the Woods. Persons who are repeatedly reported to be in violation of this rule may be restricted from entering the Woods with their dogs.
Please see The Aiken Hounds section of this website for restrictions on bringing dogs into the Woods.
Dog Walking Restriction
The Aiken Hounds is a historic drag hunt that has hunted in Hitchcock Woods from the time of the Hitchcocks. From October through March, the Aiken Hounds hunt every Tuesday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and every Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Visitors may not bring dogs into the Woods during these times.