Notices and Warnings
Hitchcock Woods is a natural environment, and all natural environments pose inherent risks. Please enjoy your visit, exercise reasonable caution, and follow the guidelines for visitors.
The Aiken Hounds is a historic drag hunt that has hunted in Hitchcock Woods from the time of the Hitchcock family.
The Aiken Hounds hunt on Saturday mornings and Tuesday afternoons from September 15th to March 15th and on Thanksgiving Day. No dog walkers, non-hunting equestrians or carriages are allowed in the Woods when Aiken Hounds is hunting. Restricted hours are posted at the entrances.
The Aiken Hounds will begin their summer exercises on Tuesday and Friday mornings beginning in July through August between the hours of 8:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. The western section of the Woods will be utilized for this activity during this time.
Under South Carolina law, an equine activity sponsor or equine professional is not liable for an injury to or the death of a participant in an equine activity resulting from an inherent risk of equine activity pursuant to Article 7, Chapter 9 of Title 47, Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976.
For their own safety, please restrain children when in proximity of horses and dogs.
Approaching Horses Safely
Because horses have limited vision, they may become startled and injure themselves, their rider, other riders, or pedestrians.
When horses come into view, please remember:
- Slow down and stop.
- Stand in a visible spot. Do not hide off the path.
- Speak to the rider as he or she approaches to make your presence known.
- Do not touch any horse unless invited to do so.
- Resume only after the horse and rider have passed you completely.
- Resume quietly and slowly.
If you bring your dog with you to walk in the Woods, please remember:
- Dogs are the legal responsibility of their owner/handler.
- All dogs must be controlled by their handlers at all times. Control is accomplished with a leash … or a dog must be trained to obey an audible command to immediately return to its handler, or to immediately stop movement and allow the handler to go to the dog and establish physical control.
- Under no circumstances will dogs be permitted to be out of their handler’s sight, to approach in a threatening manner, or to make physical contact with other people or animals using the Woods. Persons who are repeatedly reported to be in violation of this rule may be restricted from entering the Woods with their dogs.
Dog Walking Restriction
The Aiken Hounds is a historic drag hunt that has hunted in Hitchcock Woods from the time of the Hitchcock family. From October through March, the Aiken Hounds hunt every Tuesday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and every Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Visitors may not bring dogs into the Woods during these times.