The Hitchcock Woods Foundation acknowledges the rich history and tradition of drag hunting in Hitchcock Woods and will uphold these traditions to the fullest extent possible. Aiken Hounds participants should be aware of and sensitive to the Foundation’s financial needs and are encouraged to support the Hitchcock Woods Foundation.
Following are the guidelines for Aiken Hounds:
- Aiken Hounds will honor guidelines in this section and all other guidelines and rules of etiquette in the Visitors Guide, as well as those in the Hitchcock Woods Foundation’s brochures and maps.
- Follow instructions on all “yield” signage as described in this document.
- A signed agreement will be renewed annually between the Hitchcock Woods Foundation and Aiken Hounds.
- Aiken Hounds will secure liability insurance listing the Hitchcock Woods Foundation as additional insured and will submit proof of active coverage to the Hitchcock Woods Foundation.
- Aiken Hounds will solicit donations for the Hitchcock Woods Foundation and/or support the following events: Hunt Week, Hunt Week Gala, Hunter Pace, Aiken Horse Show, and Blessing of the Hounds.
- Seasonal signage listing dates and times that the Aiken Hounds will hunt will be posted at all entrances.
- Special signage for special events will be placed two weeks prior to and removed immediately after the event. (If Hitchcock Woods Foundation staff members assist, the Hitchcock Woods Foundation will be compensated, plus direct costs.) This includes the events listed below:
- Opening Meet
- Hunt Week Fixture
- Hunter Pace
- New Year’s Day Meet
- Fences will be overhauled annually in time for opening meet. Work will be done through Axe Club and the Hitchcock Woods Foundation superintendent and woodsmen.
- Aiken Hounds will be responsible for controlling the guests at the Blessing of the Hounds.
- Aiken Hounds will limit the total field at any given event to a maximum of 100.
- Aiken Hounds may volunteer as search leaders with the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office when they are present in Hitchcock Woods.
- Aiken Hounds will always be sensitive to current trail conditions and will modify the drag accordingly.
- Aiken Hounds will hand out an educational presentation package to members, visitors, fox hunters, Blessing of the Hounds participants, etc.
- Carriages and sets of polo ponies are advised to refrain from entering the Woods during posted hunt times.
See guidelines for related topics / issues:
Carriages, Equestrian, Etiquette / Behavior, Jumps, Polo Ponies, Trails, Volunteers
See attachments: Aiken Hounds resolution and agreement